I use chicken breasts and slice them into two thinner breast pieces then marinate them in a good sloshing of chipotle sauce and a bit of salt. Give it a good cooking in a frying pan along with some well-cooked bacon. Then slap that between two halves of a ciabatta bun along with some aioli, relish and a few rogue salad vegetables and you have yourself a winner of a sandwich.
Look down the international aisle for a good chipotle sauce. I like using the Culley’s one. I think these burgers tasted the best when I made them at my friend’s house using a charcoal barbecue. But this was back in summer so barbecuing is now not a thing, but keep this in mind when the sun returns to Dunedin in November.
- 2 medium sized chicken breasts
- 4 slices of shoulder bacon
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 3 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- A pinch of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Aioli, chipotle sauce, tomato chutney
- Lettuce, avocado, tomato and sliced red onion
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthways so that you have four thinner breast pieces.
- Marinate the chicken in the chipotle sauce, smoked paprika cumin and salt.
- Cook the chicken and bacon in a medium-to-high heat frying pan until the chicken is cooked through and nicely browned and the bacon is crisp.
- Toast the ciabatta rolls and slather them with aioli, tomato chutney and a bit more chipotle. Fill the buns with the chicken, bacon and other salad ingredients.