Baking sweet snacks is the perfect isolation activity. But I hear ya, there’s no FUCKing flour or sugar at the supermarket. What the fuck are you supposed to bake then? I know bliss balls might seem like a sad proxy for baking but they are actually delicious, sweet, quick and easy. Just like me. Sorry. It’s the isolation talking.
They are also the perfect study snack for in between all those online zoom classes, maybe even make a batch and take some to campus when this is over? Sustenance for IRL library sesh in the future? I don’t even know how we lived anymore.
For the bliss ball connoisseurs (I’m looking at you: F, white, 5’5”, law) these are like if Smooshed balls and The Good Bite had a child out of wedlock and dropped it as a baby. Tom and Luke can suck it.
- 1 pack dates
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- A handful of something else – can be any nuts, seeds or dried fruit. If they’re big, give em a rough chop.
Makes about 20 balls.
1. Empty your dates into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for about 10 minutes, until the dates are super soft.
2. Drain all the excess water away, with your (clean) hands give the dates a squeeze to get it all out.
3. With a fork or potato masher, smash the dates up a bit so they lose their individuality and come together as one for the greater good.
4. Add your cocoa powder and other bits (nuts/seeds/dried fruit) and mix.
5. Sprinkle the desiccated coconut onto a plate.
6. Wet your hands to stop the date mixture sticking and roll into balls. Roll in the coconut to coat.
7. That’s it. Chuck em in the fridge to set up a bit and then snack away my friends.
Bliss Balls 2.0 – Bumblebees
So the date bliss balls are healthyish. Sometimes you’re just not in the mood for that kind of vibe. Sometimes you want to just eat spoonfuls of condensed milk without your flatmate finding you at midnight, spoon in hand, eating straight out of the tin. Double dipping and everything. These are that. This is my Grandmothers recipe and she calls them bumblebees. How can you not.
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Handful of something else – any nuts, seeds, dried fruit. Gma goes for dried apricot and almonds but it’s your bumblebee.
1. Preheat your oven to 180. Prepare a baking tray with some baking paper.
2. Mix all your ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Shape into ping pong sized balls, roll in more coconut and place on baking tray.
4. Bake until just starting to get some toasty colour.
Let them cool a bit before you eat, they’re fucking hot inside straight from the oven. Yom. Stay home, eat bumblebees, save lives.