- Sporty casual, as the name suggests, is the beautiful union of two distinct concepts. Therefore oneís outfit must incorporate both. If this is all too much for one to process (perhaps one is from Southland?) we advise dressing casual on top and sporty on bottom.
- When it comes to trackpants, one must navigate this minefield with caution. If one finds oneself wearing polyester school trackies with zips up the side then one has stepped on TNT and anything grey and baggy from the Warehouse is the fabric equivalent of an atomic bomb. Note that cuffed pants, such as those by Commonerís, come highly recommended by the sporty casual Gods. However, beware of awkward sock situations.
- Puffer vests are the goose-down equivalent of a hug but be wary of being mistaken for a mobile trash bag (a likely consequence of shopping at Kathmandu). We recommend investing in a Huffer puffer or getting fancy in a fur trim puffer from Witchery.
- Gentlemen: socks and slides are a no-go. This isnít a campground and one isnít a pervert.
- Acceptable sporty casual footwear options include Nike Rocheís, New Balance 574ís, Converse, Vans and Windsor Smith Slides. Unacceptable footwear options include real sport shoes (you know the ones we mean) and flip-flops.
- One must not actually do sport in oneís sporty casual attire. Does one think that the founding housewives ever actually went to the gym post-school-drop-off? Of course not. Sporty casual is about maintaining appearances when oneís brain feels like a potato.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- The Observer - How to dress sporty casual
MORE CULTURE STORIES
- Let Them Eat Cabbage: The Wheres, Whats and Hows of Community Gardens Near Campus
- Itís Time to Duel: Meet Dunedinís Tabletop Tycoon
- Curing the Common Cold
- CRIME? Gay Paradise Ducks Relocated from Campus
- How to Tell if Your Flat is Haunted
- The Great Critic Garlic Bread Review
- The Tale of Two TJs: The Otago Student Living the Best of Both Worlds.
- A White Woman With Bangs Tells You Which Planets Are Making You Sad
- Tired of Tinder: A Return to The Dating Websites of Our Forefathers
- Poll: 91% of Otago Students Support Factory-Farming Kiwis on Stewart Island