Time to Potluck
I take potlucks so seriously that I do fear that I suck the fun and joy out of the process for everyone else. Tiramisu is the ultimate potluck meal. It is sweet, when most people bring savoury. You can make it in advance. You keep it in the fridge and don’t need to bake or reheat. And it is utterly delicious.
The idea of using Baileys is inspired by my Queen, Nigella Lawson, and my own personal consumption of copious amounts of Baileys over the years. Yes, it is a little more expensive, but to this I have two rebuttals. 1: you are saving money on eating out anyway, and 2: the leftover Baileys can be consumed in the form of hot chocolates.
1 packet (250g) savoiardi biscuits, otherwise known as sponge fingers
1 1/4 cup strong coffee, cooled (you can use instant coffee)
1/2 cup baileys cream liqueur
2 free range eggs, separated
A pinch of salt
50g castor sugar
300 mascarpone cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract / paste (or more if you want)
Cocoa powder, for dusting
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric beater until soft peaks begin to form. If you don’t have an electric beater, just use a whisk and get your sweat on. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks with an electric beater until thick and pale in colour, around 3 minutes. Beat in the mascarpone and vanilla until smooth. Lastly, fold in the egg white gently until just combined.
- Combine the cooled coffee and Baileys cream in a bowl. Take a sponge finger and dip into the coffee and liquor for a couple of seconds until the surface is damp but not soggy. Place into your chosen dish and repeat with the sponge fingers until you have one even layer.
- Pour half the mascarpone mixture onto the soaked sponge fingers and spread evenly. Repeat another layer of the soaked sponge fingers, then top with the remaining half of mascarpone. If you find that you run out of liquid, just make up a smaller amount with the ratio of 2 parts coffee to 1 part liquor.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours. Top with cocoa powder and shaved chocolate.