Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding
This is my most baked pudding of 2021. On several occasions when I have been at a loss for what to cook for dinner, I have made and eaten half of this pudding and called it a day. When you make this recipe, it will feel wrong, as pouring boiling water on top of cake batter seems unnatural. But I promise you, it will work out. The cake will rise to the top and a delicious chocolate sauce will sit underneath.
For the sponge:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup flavourless oil (like canola oil – you can also use melted butter)
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
For the sauce:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups boiling water
Ice cream and cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a medium sized baking dish or tray with a little butter or oil.
- In a bowl whisk the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, egg, oil, cocoa and milk until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour and spread the batter into the baking dish.
- Now it is time to make the sauce. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and cocoa.
- Sprinkle this sugar and cocoa mixture over the top of the cake batter.
- Then pour over the boiling water.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes, until the sponge is cooked through, and a chocolatey sauce is formed. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.