Bacon, Broccoli and Pea Risotto
This is my go-to recipe for when I don’t want to wash up lots of pots and pans. It’s simple, it’s delicious, and everyone loves it. My favourite thing to do with a risotto is to add camembert or brie cheese. I know it sounds a bit weird, but please try it.
A splash of oil
200g (4 rashers) bacon, finely sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic (or 4 cloves)
2 tsp dried thyme, or any herb you like
1 head broccoli, chopped into medium sized pieces
1 1/3 cup arborio rice
1 litre chicken stock, plus an extra cup or so just in case
1 cup frozen peas
Half a block of Camembert or brie; alternatively you can use a handful of grated parmesan or whatever cheese you like
A knob of butter (optional)
Lemon juice (optional)
Salt and pepper
1. In a pot over medium high heat, fry bacon in a splash of oil until crispy.
2. Lower the heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, and thyme, season with salt and pepper and fry off for around 5 minutes, until the onion starts to soften.
3. Stir in arborio rice and broccoli and cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the stock, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. If you feel like your risotto is getting a little dry, pour in some more stock.
5. When the rice is almost cooked, stir in the peas and diced camembert. Cook for another couple of minutes. The peas should be cooked and the camembert should be fully melted.
When your rice is cooked, remove from the heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper. If you want, you can stir through a knob of butter to make it extra creamy. Add a little lemon juice if you like.