No-Yeast Pesto Scrolls
I created this recipe when I had the dark realisation that I was averaging about five scrolls per week, which really does make a dent on the bank account. These are so easy to make and the recipe doesn’t involve any yeast. You can also change up the flavour to what you want – caramelised onions would be fantastic, and so would some feta or even tomato chutney.
There is nothing better than bread and cheese.
Makes 6 large scrolls
2 cups plain flour (you might need an extra ½ cup of flour if the dough is too sticky)
3 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp paprika, optional
Pinch of salt
2 ¾ cups grated cheese
¾ cup milk
1 tub pesto
1. Preheat oven to 210 degrees celsius.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, paprika & salt.
3. Add grated cheese & mix until combined.
4. Add the egg and milk and stir until combined.
5. Turn the dough out onto a clean bench and knead gently until the dough just comes together and is not too sticky. Add more flour if it is too sticky. You might need as much as half of flour.
6. Press the dough out into a flat rectangle. Evenly spread over the pesto and roll into a log.
7. Cut into six pieces. Then take each piece and flatten it on the cut side (where you can see the pesto) to around 1 inch thick.
8. Lay on a lined baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.